1/2T Jolene Tchir
1/2T February News
Monday, February 4, 2019
Welcome to February! As the weather continues to be brisk outside, we will be busy as always inside 1/2T this month. Here’s a look at what we will be up to:
February’s Curriculum Focus
- The students continue to work on Literacy Centres in Language Arts. These activities include word work with our word wall words, writing, reading, listening to reading on the iPad and then Guided Reading with myself. We also spend about 5-10 minutes each morning on vowels and letter blends as a class.
- Students continue to write in their Journals regularly. We have also recently started working on good paragraph writing techniques. We have been referring to the Hamburger writing organizer. This helps students visualize a hamburger with lots of toppings when they try to incorporate lots of descriptive details into their writing. We are focusing on having a topic sentence, 3 detailed sentences about the topic and a closing sentence.
- We will also be continuing to practice reading comprehension passages and have quizzes periodically to check for understanding of reading.
- Students are working on their Reading on an app called Reading A-Z. You can download this app on your tablet or phone for students to read home reading books at home on it. You can find your child’s log in information on the sheet that is stapled to this newsletter.
- Please continue to read with your child and record your child’s Home Reading books each night on the log sheet. You can also record any digital books you read with your child. If you need another sheet, please let me know. This helps us reach our classroom reading goal and home reading is so important for student success.
- We spent the month of January learning about Estimation and Measurement.
- We are now focusing on Numeracy. We will be working on math facts, identifying more and less and mental math strategies.
Gr. 1 Science
- Students are currently learning about the 5 senses. We will then be beginning looking at The Needs of Plants and Animals later this month.
- Gr. 1 Social Studies
- We are currently working on a unit called “Looking At My World”. Students are learning the characteristics of urban and rural communities as well as learning how to read maps; specifically a map of Redwater.
Gr. 2 Science
- We are wrapping up our unit of Liquids and are excited to start investigating Boats and Buoyancy later this month. We have an in-school field trip coming up to help kick it off!
Gr. 2 Social Studies
- The Grade 2’s are looking at the people that live in Inuit, Acadian and Ukrainian communities. We are learning about traditions, cultures, celebrations, festivals, artists and performers.
Things to Note:
- Student zipper bags continue to come home nightly with school newsletters, homework calendars, agendas and home reading should also be coming home each night as well for you to check and read through with your child. Thank you for taking the time to do this.
- Also, please take the time to check your child’s grades on PowerSchool. These are updated frequently. Please try to take a look at these prior to Parent/Teacher Interviews in the spring.
- Pending weather conditions, we plan to participate in national Winter Walk Day on Wednesday, February 6th. Parents are welcome to join us. We will be beginning around 2:05 pm.
- Teachers Convention will be February 7th and 8th therefore there will be NO CLASSES those days.
- February 14th we will be celebrating Valentine’s Day. We will be having a small celebration in the afternoon to exchange Valentines if your child has decided to do so. I do ask that if they plan to give out Valentines that they give one to every student in the class so that no one is left out. The students in our class are Kendrix, Rachael, Blake, Presley, Annalee, Ethan, Kenzie, Jace, Tatum, Orian, Thalia, Jasmine, Lilliana, Evan P., Dani, Evan R., Lyndon, Chase, Reid, Dylon, Mrs. Patti, Mrs. Hurst and Mrs. Tchir.
- February 15th students will have the opportunity to try out some Cardboard Arcade games that the Grade 4 students have made for the Town of Redwater’s Family Day event.
- February 18th is Family Day. There is NO SCHOOL.
- Grade 1 and 2 students will be participating in an in-school field trip on February 19th. Grade 1 will be making dreamcatchers from 9:30-11:30 and Grade 2 will be learning about boats and buoyancy from 12:55 – 2:55. We are looking for 2 parent helpers for Grade 1 and 2 parent helpers for Grade 2 for this event. Please let me know ASAP if you are available.
- We are participating in Pink Shirt Day on Wednesday, February 27th. Wear something pink to show your support!
- We are hoping to have a fun outdoor event on February 28 in the afternoon for a Winter Play Day. This will be pending the weather. I will need 1-2 parent helpers for this event. Please contact me ASAP if you are able to help. More information on this day to come.
- Thank-you very much to the parent volunteers this past month who helped us with our Skating days in January. We got on the ice in no time thanks to you!
Mrs. Tchir J